I was digging through my wip folder when I found all the different demos I did of one of my songs and I figured it’d be kinda cool to show how the song progressed from the very original idea to the final version that got put up on youtube.
The Making of Orchestro:
- Original Rough Demo
Basically everyone was talking about complextro in the musicians skype chat so I figured I’d give it a go, really rough idea, pretty sub par overall but the project file sat for a little while.
- Toastbeard?!?! Toastbead!
Toastbeard comes along and the theme is Vinyl Scratch vs. Something - The idea gets in my head and suddenly I get the idea to take it in the pony direction, a few of the synth sounds I originally used seemed too dry for the parts and seemed to work well with orchestral sounds instead - from there the idea started to form of the final version.
- More elaboration
From the first directed wip I started expanding on the idea, this was pretty much the first time I’ve done something Voodoopony suggested in that I start the song from the middle, in this case the drop, and expand on it outwards from there - I started adding an introduction in this version.
- Third WIP
Honestly there’s not much special going on here, just an expansion of the previous idea - the drop is expanded with an additional bell figure section, introduction is drawn out longer and a break is added after the “chorus.”
- First Demo
With the time crunch on Toastbeard this was the first “finished” version shown, I wasn’t completely satisfied yet but due to time constraints I had to stop there, the full idea’s there and the song is fully formed but I felt it could use more refining.
- Revisited Demo
Around this time I had just picked up some new plugins from NI and wanted to see what they could do, still working on the idea I began to revise the bass, which in the older versions seemed pretty boring to me. The main changes in this are a few mixing altercations and the bass, also some white noise was added in the break. Though the orchestral sounds still suck….
- Final Product
After asking Makkon (who has godly orchestral plugins) for some help, I had him render me some better string sounds which can be heard in the final. Aside from that the only other changes from the last demo is a few mixing altercations.
Well while a finished product is a finished product it doesn’t mean I don’t still feel it could use some work. I originally was going to have an intro to the song that was Octavia playing Bach’s Cello Suite 1 before being interrupted by some loud electro from Vinyl, both of them stopping and playing Carrot Top’s “Well I never!” sound before continuing with the actual song but I ended up scrapping the idea since I don’t have anything good enough to get a realistic cello for the solo. Aside from that for complextro it doesn’t seem too complex, at least in comparison to popular complextro so I’d probably try to add more diversity of synths. Also I seem to be rather overusing the “hard bass synth sidechained for a measure, melody measure, hard bass synth sidechained for a measure, melody measure…” pattern in here.
Also apparently a few people think I ripped off Deadmau5’s “Ghosts N Stuff” with it and listening honestly I don’t see the similarities aside from the use of sidechained sawtooths playing chords every few measures, which isn’t really something Deadmau5 has domination over or something. Though I did use parts of the Deadmau5 percussion kit for the drums throughout the song so that could be it too.
So yeah, I hope you enjoyed this rather TL:DR post, I just figured it’d be kinda cool to share.